We overcame a massive inferiority complex to talk to the novelist Chang-Rae Lee after his panel session at the Ubud festival. We covered the basics: how he writes, where he writes, when he writes and why he writes.
Listen to our weekly podcast episode 9 here. Also available for download or subscription via iTunes.
Thanks to Summa Durie of the UWRF Media Centre for arranging the interview.
* * * * *
In this week’s podcast quiz we’re giving away five copies of Chang-Rae Lee’s The Surrendered courtesy of National Bookstore.
1. He majored in Literature and then he got a job on Wall Street. Why?
2. What was the first thing he ever wrote that made him think he could be a writer?
3. He compares the scale of The Surrendered to that of the work of which artist?
4. How does he know when a novel is finished?
5. Apart from his computer in a quiet room, what does he need in order to write?
6. What was his favorite compliment from a reader?
7. Why does he write?
Post your answers in Comments.
* * * * *
The winner of last week’s podcast quiz is claarzero. Congratulations! Please post your full name in Comments (It won’t be published) and we’ll alert you when your prize has been delivered to National Bookstore in Rockwell.
Update: You may pick up your book at the Customer Service counter, National Bookstore, Power Plant Mall, tel (02)8974562.