Generally spoiler-free Wolverine preview! (From SRO media screening–I don’t think we were all from the media. Then again, anyone with a blog or a Facebook account is media.)
1. X-Men: Alright, although Magneto was more interesting than any of the X-Men.
X-Men 2: Better. I liked the evil mutants, and the ending with Jean Grey was quite moving.
X-Men 3: Crap.
X-Men Origins: Wolverine: Director Gavin Hood (Tsotsi) and the writers do a good job explaining the Wolverine character and laying the groundwork for the X-Men cycle. Action scenes well-executed. Crowd-pleasing. May confuse some viewers with no prior knowledge of X-Men. The latest addition to the ‘If you have special abilities the US government will hunt you down and weaponize you’ genre.
2. Huge Ackman solid playing a character who looks like heâ€™s had a life-long migraine. It helps that he is beautiful and sculpted, and yes there is a nude scene. Message to Hugh: Wag kang tatabi kay Liev Schreiber, magaling yan! Been a Schreiber fan since the HBO movie RKO 281, in which Schreiber captured the charm and megalomania of Orson Welles. Since then heâ€™s become one of the finest actors in the American theatre. Yes, Hugh has a Tony too (for The Boy from Oz), and he has the advantage in the beauty department, but Liev has sheer presence and a great voice. Hey why are there Canadians in an American black ops unit? Shouldn’t they be in the Foreign Legion?
3. So thatâ€™s how to make Ryan Reynolds menacing: give him swords.
4. You could feel the fanboys vibrating with joy each time a mutant appeared. â€œOmigod itâ€™s itâ€™s itâ€™s Cyclops! Gambit! (faint).â€ I myself got weak when Wolverine put on a tartan shirt and became. . .A lumberjack! Leaping from tree to tree as they float down the mighty rivers of British Columbia. . .
5. Merry! Merry! Whereâ€™s Pippin?
6. There are really only a few plots in existence. Wolverine uses the Cain and Abel story, Frankenstein, and throws in a bit of Oedipus.
7. This will make sense after youâ€™ve seen the movie: â€œYikes, his mutant power is, his face injects itself with botox.â€
8. Almost forgot: Pay attention to the opening credits are they are crammed with back story.
9. Wow, Wolverine would kill as a contestant on Top Chef.
Postscript. A few days later, you don’t remember what happened. Just like Wolverine.