Other things we learned from Kim Gordon’s candid but dignified memoir, Girl In A Band:
– Thurston Moore broke up their marriage and Sonic Youth because he cheated on her with this hanger-on who had always wanted to be connected to the band. Before the woman had gone after Thurston Moore she had tried to get close to Kim.
– The cheating was discovered through text messages.
– Kim is a punk rock purist.
– She does not like Courtney Love and Billy Corgan and was especially grossed out when those two were dating.
– She was very fond of Kurt Cobain but was not surprised when he killed himself.
– Henry Rollins was twerking before there was twerking.
– She does not recognize New York today. She arrived there in 1980 when she was poor and New York was bankrupt. Larry Gagosian gave her a job and claimed she was his ex. She knew Jeff Koons and Julian Schnabel and does not think much of either one.
– She was a fan of Madonna in the 80s, hence Ciccone Youth.
– Gerhard Richter allowed Sonic Youth to use one of his candle paintings as the cover of their Daydream Nation album because she was a friend of his wife.